Thursday, January 6, 2011

What's Branding?

That is one question I am SO tired of hearing. Why Couldn't I have Chose Public Relations or Something?

Every time somebody asks me what I want to do with my marketing career, I tell them I want to do branding for a marketing firm. That's usually where I see the blank stare and wait for that inevitable question. What's Branding?

The thing is, it's tough to describe, because it's in every aspect of marketing. Everything a company or person does affects their brand: their logo, design, name, positioning, advertising, actions, the list goes on and on. The best way that I've found to describe branding to somebody with no marketing geek in them is to give examples of some of the best brands and the emotional attachment their loyal customers have. While I seem to light up talking about the success of these brands, they somewhat understand but don't seem to capture my enthusiasm.

So, I made this blog in an attempt to show how branding is not boring, and in fact something that affects everybody whether they see it or not. I'm hoping that fellow marketers, experienced and inexperienced alike, will share with me their thoughts as I talk about branding from my point of view. And for those of you reading who asked me what branding was, maybe this will clear things up and my marketing geek will rub off on you. If you haven't read my previous blogs, go to amber-e-m@tumblr.com. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment